Monday, December 15, 2008

Yet Another Baseball Blog

I know I know, yet another baseball blog. It seems this day everybody and their mother had a blog, though luckily enough mine seems to be resisting the temptation. I fear for that day. In any case, I need a hook to keep me fresh and relevant, so I needed to evaluate what I could write about.

I'm a 21 22-year old undergrad at the University of Waterloo, Waterloo Ontario, so naturally my hometown team is the Toronto Blue Jays who frustrate me ever so. Even more naturally, it makes sense for this team to become the focus of the blog, but with so many excellent Jays blogs out there (like the Drunks, Tao, Southpaw, and Mockingbird) who have things like established readers and, y'know, writing talent I needed something more to set myself apart.

Then I figured I'm pretty big into stats, so why not look into that? Again, that's not really new or innovative, and the Mockingbird does such a better job at it than I would anyways. Still, that would figure in.

Then I got into an argument over the internet on why the business model of the Yankees is doomed to fail sooner rather than later, and I had my answer: the economics of baseball. Or, well, a combination of the three items: the economics of baseball, the Toronto Blue Jays, and the competitive advantage of superior stats.

But economics is boring, and complicated, and lame!

Ba-pschh, where did you go to school, idiot? Okay, factor in condescending as well. When I started taking economics I was struck by how much it is overwhelming common sense. I'm going to try to avoid complicated terminology and concepts, explaining as well as I can. I don't know, it could be interesting. Or it could flop, which seems more likely than not, but I'm trying to be optimistic here.

Oh and as for content, I doubt I'll be as delightfully foul as the Drunks, but I reserve the right to drop the occasional fuck or shit (hee-hee, drop a shit) if it'll add to the point (which it often does).

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment